Old September 24th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Reg Mouatt Reg Mouatt is offline

Default Chimney on Kensington Gore

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:11:50 +0100, Keith J Chesworth
wrote:

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:08:13 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes
Chris Woodhead wrote:
I appreciate I may not be in the right area of expertise to ask this
question, but can anybody shed any light on the history / origins
of the free-standing chimney on Kensington Gore. It's intrigued me
for a while now. I've posed this question on several messageboards
/ newsgroups but have as yet failed to receive a response.

I'd be grateful for any information.

If you mean the chimney next to and south-east of the Royal Albert Hall,
I think it's from the hall's boiler room. A Google search produced a
reference to a chimney and a photo at
http://www.unseenlondon.dns2go.com/r...rt/roofext.htm , but the
site seems to be down at present.

Now if that's the case I for one would be very interested as I've been
trying [1] to find out about the Albert Hall's heating for years [2].

When I was at school, I was taught that the Hall was heated by the
surplus heat from a nearby cold storage facility but I've never been
able to confirm/disprove this.

[1] Though not very hard!

[2] On reflection, this is *very* sad, isn't it?!

Four Balwin packaged steam boilers supply the heating. They were
renewed, say 5years ago

There was some thought to buying in the heating from the University a
few years ago when the refurbishment was being planned but it did not
come to anything

Keith J Chesworth
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk

I believe it now has a preservation order on it. It no longer is in
use. In much earlier times the Hall's organ was steam powered, to pump
the bellows and the waste was vented through this chimney.
Reg