Old September 25th 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Keith J Chesworth Keith J Chesworth is offline

Default Chimney on Kensington Gore

snip

I believe it now has a preservation order on it. It no longer is in
use. In much earlier times the Hall's organ was steam powered, to pump
the bellows and the waste was vented through this chimney.
Reg

That's strange.

On Monday I was doing the statutory thorough examinations on boilers
1, 2 and 4. ie., the cold stripped down examinations.

Friday I was doing the same for boiler 3 and the steaming tests to
complete the examinations of 1, 2 and 4.

Anyone in the area yesterday morning may have seen the steam blowing
up there from the safety valve vents.

I'll pass on the Organ, that is now totally refurbished and I doubt if
there is much by records of the original one left. Prior to
refurbishment is was driven by an electric compressor.

I can say that the hall was originally supplied by well water using a
steam pumping engine. The lower part of which was still in place along
with the well until refurbishment.

The previous boilers in the place where Paxman and from the sounds of
what I have been told they were quite vintage when scrapped.

Heating is by means of stteam heated Plenium heaters in the air con
ducting and low temperature hot water to radiators, supplied via steam
heated calorifiers. Hot water is supplied by means of 'load leveller'
calorifiers. One of which I 'did' on Monday.

Why it looks out of use is because the boilers are gas fired and thus
the exhust is not visible unless the day is very cold.

Keith J Chesworth AKA boilerbill, 25years boiler surveying
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site