Old September 25th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Cul-de-sacking

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Martin Underwood wrote:

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I know that there are many neighbourhoods where cul-de-sacking has
occurred.

As a driver, I destest cul-de-sacking. If a road exists, it should be

there
for through traffic to use as well as residential traffic.

Why?

Because it's a road, and roads should be open to ALL traffic.

Installing barriers, zig-zag routes or "no entry except for access" signs is
NIMBYist. Residents should not have the right to restrict ordinary traffic
from going along their road, although the situation is different for wide or
long vehicles such as lorries where they are actually a danger/encumberance
to other road users.

Between Windsor and Ascot, just on the Ascot side of the "peanut-shaped
roundabout" (locals will know the one I mean!) there is a short length of
road that would serve as a valuable way of travelling from Winkfield or
Ascot to Sunningdale, bypassing this roundabout which carries all traffic
between Windsor/Legoland, Windsor Great Park, Sunningdale and Ascot and gets
clogged in the rush hour. Except that it carries "no entry except for
access" signs... The irony is, there are no properties to be accessed along
this road: I stopped and walked along it (it's only about 200 yards long) to
satisfy my curiosity! Coming from Sunningdale to Winkfield, the situation is
even more absurd: the road to Winkfield is no entry, so everyone going in
that direction nips through the car park of the neighbouring pub which has
exits onto both roads!