Old September 26th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Matt Saunders Matt Saunders is offline

Default Councillors crush tube depot plans

On 2004-09-25, David Splett wrote:

[...]

The new proposal, if I understand things correctly, is for the site to be
used for an engineers' depot to take on some of the functions currently
performed by Ruislip. There is a big difference between a rail-served ash
tip and a working depot with regular deliveries of materials by road.

Yep. Personally I'm interested because I live close to Chalfont and
Latimer tube station and I'm wondering if I'll be woken up by 66s whizzing
by on their way to the new depot from Aylesbury.

Does anyone know exactly what LU and/or the Infracos are planning? Is
this
just a small development to serve North-West London, or a large depot to
serve the needs of the whole system?

It's all here in detail:

http://www.google.com/search?q=DC+re...Valley+Wood%22

The original PDF of the planning application is no longer there but you
can click "View as HTML" and it's almost as good.

I hate to say this - its not up to YOU to dictate how much traffic uses a
railway line, You chose to live near the line, accept the consequences, same
with people who live near airports , and those who live near motorways.

Really? I did wonder why they'd not telephoned me personally about it!
(not)

If you live near a line you must be prepared for noise at all hours of the
day and night.

You're right, I *do* have to prepare myself if I want a listen these days.
Despite still having single-glazed windows I've zoned out the trains to
an extent that I don't notice them unless I'm listening for them.

My nightly diet of A-stock and tame-sounding Chiltern diesels would be
complemented nicely by the occasional purposeful whoosh of something
more interesting than an empty stock move off the Chesham branch.

If they do rebuild this depot and I Hope they do It will take more lorries
off the road, something everyone wants apparently.

it was there for god knows how long with trains working all hours before it
closed.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I think you may be ill-informed.

Back on subject, it seems to be a tricky one all round. Any sort of
significant planning application (even for a treehouse) gets fiercely
contested around here so the opposition is not surprising. The
residents may have had an expectation that the land would remain
derelict or be developed for housing so it's no wonder there's
opposition.

NIMBYS Make me sick "!!!!

No, that'll be your prejudice doing that.

Mind if I open a McDonald's next to your house? I consider your views
over-simplistic and unrealistic I'm afraid.

--
Matt Saunders http://www.yoyo.org/matts/contacts/
"This is getting very silly. Too silly."