Old July 31st 03, 06:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default the book...London under London

Has anyone here read it? Is it worth buying??

I have posted this capsule review here befo

| * London Under London: A Subterranean Guide, by Richard Trench(!!)
| and Ellis Hillman(!), 2nd edition, pub.1993 John Murray, P240mM,
| ISBN 0-7195-5288-5.
|
| This covers the entire range of subterranea in London: lost rivers,
| water mains, hydraulic power mains, underground railways, you name it.
| It should therefore be of great interest to you -- but unfortunately,
| in those areas where I already know something what it's talking about,
| I can say that it's riddled with errors.
|
| The worst single sentence is probably this, in the section on electric
| power: it contains at least 4 clear errors and probably more, depending
| on how you count!
|
| ! High voltages generate immense heat, known as superconductivity and
| ! caused by the resistance set up within the cable by the alternation
| ! of the current -- particularly if the cables are laid underground.

On the other hand, there aren't all so many books covering the subject
that you can just go out and find a better one. So read it if you like,
just be aware you can't trust it on details.
--
Mark Brader "You can stop laughing now.
Toronto Well, maybe you *can't*, but you *may*."