Old September 28th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default Ken says yes to Crystal Palace tram extension

PRAR wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:16:14 +0100, "Solar Penguin"
wrote:

--- "David Bradley" wrote:

So the pro tram advocates ought to post a response here to justify
the not inconsiderable sum that will be spent in its construction
plus the cost of an extra tram or two for what seems a very
dubious benefit.

Just to show I'm not totally anti-tram... It *could* benefit Crystal Palace
if the extension to Bromley goes ahead as well. That would bring in a
useful new service, and improvement over the buses currently running between
CP and Bromley.

227, London's favourite bus route.

Crystal Palace & Croydon to Bromley would be a useful service, but I
can't see the PT hating denizens of Bromley ever accepting it.

I think that reputation's undeserved. Bromley's buses are well used and
Bromley South station seems quite busy.

Of course, if it does reach Bromley, further extensions could easily
follow. The Bromley North branch would benefit greatly from conversion,
and from Grove Park it would be possible to extend it to Woolwich via
Mottingham and Eltham without too much street running.

Is there scope for entending the existing service from Beckenham
through to say Orpington? (I suspect paths between Beckenham &
Shortlands are quite sparse and also crossing on the level at
Beckenham will be quite inefficient for starters).

I think you've answered your own question - there is scope, but it's
probably more trouble than it's worth.