Old September 30th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

Mait001 wrote:
The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube
Stock (of the sort which was, or possibly still, on display in
the Science Museum, South Kensington) welded together to form an
electric loco for LT. It's yellow-coloured - I am sure you can
find a picture of it in old LT stocklist books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

The train in the science museum has long gone. When I was a nipper
you were allowed inside but in later years not. Then last year I
went to the Acton Depot where it now isand was allowed back in.
Nice bit of nostalgia
HTH Phil

That's a great shame: the Science Museum has also lost Deltic,
Caerphily Castle, the Signal Box - does Terence Cuneo's superb
painting of Waterloo Station survive?

The prototype Deltic and Caerphilly Castle are both at the National
Railway Museum at York. The Cuneo painting is listed on their site at
http://www.nrm.org.uk/html/exhib_pb/...e/waterloo.asp
Since the NRM and the Science Museum are both part of the NMSI family of
museums, "lost" is perhaps too strong a word.

Next Acton Depot Open Day weekend is October 9/10, by the way.

--
Richard J.