Old July 31st 03, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Will Travelcard Zone 6 ever expand to include Dartford stattion?

"Dave" wrote in message
Martin Underwood writes
As a matter of interest, do postcode boundaries follow the boundary
between the Cities of Westminster and London?

The boundary between the cities of Westminster and London [1] is very
short, probably only 500m or so in length - but even there the
boundaries are not precisely the same.

See http://tinyurl.com/im8l

[1] In their modern administrative boundaries.

There's a red boundary line that runs from near Chancery Lane tube station
roughly southwards to the middle of the Thames near HQS Wellington. Is that
the city boundary or the postcode boundary? On the 1:50000 map it's a long
dash and short dot line which means "county, unitary authority, metropolitan
district or London borough" so I presume it's the city rather than postcode
boundary. I can't find my large A-Z which shows postcode boundaries as well
as London borough boundaries.

I've never understood the rules governing postcode boundaries. They often
cross county boundaries. Mind you, county / unitary authority boundaries
seem to be perverse as well: in what used to be called Berkshire (and which
most people, unitary authority notwithstanding, still *do* call Berkshire!)
there's a boundary that runs through the middle of Reading such that
Tilehurst (really a suburb of Reading) is part of the UA of West Berkshire
(administered in Newbury) whereas the most of the rest of the conurbation of
Reading is part of the UA of Reading. You'd think that common sense would
route the boundary in the un-built-up area outside Reading - and would keep
moving that boundary as Reading expands so that the whole of the conurbation
(as it exists at any time) is always administered from the same place.