Old October 3rd 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Beale Peter Beale is offline

Default Holborn Viaduct

In article , (Richard J.) wrote:

[I asked:]

Wouldn't the 1864 LCDR station have been Blackfriars Bridge? - it
opened on 1st June, the same day as the extension from Elephant &
Castle, and closed 1st October 1885.

It was Blackfriars according to H.P. White, my source of London railway
history. His dates agree with those in Mark's post, and he implies that
the old Blackfriars was closed at the same time as St Paul's was opened
on 10 May 1886. Do you have a source for "Blackfriars Bridge" and the
October 1885 closure date?

"A Southern Region Chronology and Record 1803-1965", R.H.Clark, Oakwood
Press, 1964 (sic - must have had prophetic powers for 1965!), p66. Also for
SER Blackfriars. Whether he or White is right I do not know; but Blackfriars
Bridge does seem a more appropriate name for a station south of the Thames,
when Blackfriars proper is north.

--
Peter Beale