Old October 4th 04, 01:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Marcus Fox Marcus Fox is offline

Default Obscure dictionary trivia

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
news:c2bc7cec8cdadcff53954fa8985c15c7.125090@mygat e.mailgate.org...
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

Which disaster that took place in what is now (and maybe was then,
I won't be specific) a part of the London Underground system is
mentioned in the Oxford English Dictionary?

Google suggests the London Underground has been mercifully spared too
many disasters - not sure where "accident" finishes and "disaster"
starts mind you...

The crush at Bethnal Green and the wartime bombing of the other "B"
stations...

Moorgate, Kings Cross...

Are there others? I would have expected some diastrous tunnel fires
under steam traction.

The way the question is posed indicates that it is not a London Underground
disaster, as the OP says he does not know whether it was part of the
Underground at that time, but it is now. Besides, I don't have an OED to
check.

Marcus