Old October 4th 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Holborn Viaduct

Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
Peter
Beale writes

"A Southern Region Chronology and Record 1803-1965", R.H.Clark,
Oakwood Press, 1964 (sic - must have had prophetic powers for
1965!), p66. Also for SER Blackfriars. Whether he or White is
right I do not know; but Blackfriars Bridge does seem a more
appropriate name for a station south of the Thames, when
Blackfriars proper is north.

Clark does seem to be correct - I suddenly remembered that I have a
LCDR route map from 1870, showing the city line complete to Ludgate
Hill (and under construction north thereof). This clearly marks the
south-bank station as Blackfriars Bridge.

See also the contemporary quote from Cruchley at:
http://www.victorianlondon.org/thame...ndrabridge.htm

He calls the first Blackfriars railway bridge Alexandra Bridge. But
several other websites say that Alexandra Bridge was the one built by
the SER in 1863-66 to serve Cannon Street Station.

And finally, while Jackson's "London Termini" calls the station
"Blackfriars" on pages 155, 191 and 193, on page 192 he refers to
"This Blackfriars Bridge station".

I would have expected the LCDR to call it Blackfriars originally, in the
way that railway companies named stations after whatever place they were
expecting the traffic to serve, however far away it actually was.
Perhaps they changed it to Blackfriars Bridge after Ludgate Hill opened.
--
Richard J.