Old July 31st 03, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cal Nihoni Cal Nihoni is offline

Default Credit card sized tube map...

Richard J. wrote:
Seriously, why this obsession with credit-card sized maps? It's a
linear reduction by a factor of 2.5 on the pocket tube map, which
means that the letters of the station names will be only about 0.4 mm
high, or in printing parlance about 1.6-point. What's the use of
that?

Um - cos it fits in the wallet alongside all one's credit cards? Don't know
about you, but often the *only* thing I have with me is my mobile phone and
my credit-card-sized wallet, especially if I'm going out on the town. I
don't carry a girlie handbag with space for the z-card map in it.

I used to have the Mercury phone card (and thus credit-card sized) with the
Zone 1/2 map on the face, despite knowing the tube lines off by heart it's
still occasionally useful to quickly glance at the tube map, or show to some
tourists who've stopped you in the street and asked how to get to "x" etc.