Old October 5th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David E. Belcher David E. Belcher is offline

Default Harry Beck: BBC2 this evening at 7.30

"Richard J." wrote in message . ..
David Marshall wrote:

Did I see an *old* map (with Aldwych on) that also had dashed
Crossrail and Chelsea-Hackney lines marked on?

Yes! There's one in Ken Garland's book* based on the 1994 diagram, but
including all the then known projected extensions and new lines,
including Crossrail as then planned (Amersham/Ealing to Stratford),
Chelsea-Hackney (Wimbledon to Hainault), ELL to Highbury & Islington and
East Dulwich, Met from Croxley to Watford Junction. It was produced for
internal LU use.

I've only just picked up on this thread, but watched Map Man and found
it a fascinating programme. Interesting to note that, on Harry Beck's
last draft map for LT, including the still-to-be-finished Victoria
Line (the map was rejected in favour of Paul Garbutt's design), he
shows the Great Northern & City branch to Moorgate as having Finsbury
Park as its northern terminus - in reality it was cut back to Drayton
Park in 1964 to ease problems during construction of the Victoria Line
(the latter using at least one of the GN&C platform tunnels, I
believe)!

David E. Belcher