Old October 5th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Philip Mason Philip Mason is offline

Default Buses blocking the road

I can confirm I have been on the wrong side of a bus when the driver decided
that he would just pull out. it was on a wide road in London, where I would
have had enough space to overtake a "normal" road vehicle which would have
been pulling out from the same spot. However, the bus decided it would
indicate and, simultaneously, pull out right into the side of my car.
Luckily only minor scratches were obtained, but it could easily have been
much worse if, as you state, My car were a bicycle or motorbike!

Current government policy is to stop Londoners from enjoying the roads as we
should, and instead they are forcing everybody to travel on the HIGHLY
inadequate public transport. I am sure it will not be long before TfL is
taken to the EU Court of Human Rights by someone who feels they have the
right to choose comfort over bus

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Dave Arquati ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they

were
saying :

Although in favour of speeding up buses, I wonder whether it might
better serve the interests of both bus users and motorists to introduce
a rule which makes it compulsory to let buses leaving a bus stop pull
out. Unfortunately I suspect the problem would be enforcement - on-bus
cameras might be an option, but they're expensive and it's another thing
for the driver to worry about.

Hmmm. I can foresee a slight problem with that - it won't be long before a
bus driver just pulls straight out into traffic without looking "because
they have to give way to me" and causes an accident. With any luck, it
won't be a motorbike or a bicycle that's going past him at the time.