Old October 5th 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Harry Beck: BBC2 this evening at 7.30

David E. Belcher wrote:

I've only just picked up on this thread, but watched Map Man and
found it a fascinating programme. Interesting to note that, on
Harry Beck's last draft map for LT, including the still-to-be-
finished Victoria Line (the map was rejected in favour of Paul
Garbutt's design),

Garbutt's map had already been published in May 1964. Beck based his
last design on Garbutt's map (which he would have regarded, as do LUL
nowadays, as based on his own original design).

he shows the Great Northern & City branch to Moorgate as having
Finsbury Park as its northern terminus

as did Garbutt's May 1964 map

- in reality it was cut back to Drayton Park in 1964 to ease problems
during construction of the Victoria Line (the latter using at
least one of the GN&C platform tunnels, I believe)!

The closure of Finsbury Park to Drayton Park was in October 1964, due as
you say to use of the GN&C platform tunnels in the reconstruction of
Finsbury Park.
--
Richard J.