Old October 5th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Crystal Palace solution

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:32:23 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,

Anyone wondering how Tramlink will bridge the vertical gap between Crystal
Palace station and Crystal Palace Parade, might be interested in the German
solution... I think TfL should suggest this to the safety bods just to get
their reaction !

http://home.arcor.de/guenter.kretzsc...ack_carr_.html

It is an incredible line, that one, and I'm surprised it isn't better
known. A rural DMU-worked branch wanders off the main line, another
quite pretty branch wanders off that one, then among the trees just
before the end is the connection to the DB-operated funicular - and it
is huge, not a Scarborough-seafront job. At the top are second-hand
S-bahn type trains on an isolated electric line wandering through the
countryside.

The only snag is that it is in the middle of nowhere, though there is
a Youth Hostel at the end of the branch.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK