Old October 6th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default Northern Line extensions - anything to see?

(David E. Belcher) wrote in message . com...
I moved to Watford a couple of months ago and work in Bushey - as
Bushey Heath, Brockley Hill and Aldenham are not too far away, are
there any remnants of the aborted Northern Line extension left to see?
Still on the topic of abandoned railways, I live on the western edge
of Watford, and the sad, decaying remnants of Croxley Green (ex-LMS)
station are not too far down the road from my house :-(

There is a considerable amount to see:

Finsbury Park-Highgate is the best preserved, with the old bridges,
Crouch End's platforms and a substation shell available for viewing,
along with the ubiquitous cable posts.

Mill Hill East-Edgware is equally well preserved, except for the
section between Bunns Lane and Page Street, which is all but
obliterated (except for the now-abandoned slip road built on the
ex-LNER trackbed).

Highgate-Alexandra Palace is a bit difficult to find, but once you
find it near the site of Park Junction on the NE corner of Highgate
Depot, you can follow it at least as far as the site of Muswell Hill.
After that, a quick trip around some houses and under a bridge and its
smooth walking (with more cable posts) all the way to the old BR labs
at Alexandra Palace.

Edgware-Bushey Heath is all but destroyed; I doubt there's anything to
see nowadays.