Old October 7th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mait001 Mait001 is offline

Default The "tube hat" case

As a barrister, I once defended someone for handling stolen goods, to wit, an
empty Royal Mail cash bag! Since, so the Prosecution case went, it would be
"impossible" to obtain such a bag except by stealing one, the person (in whose
garden shed, under a pile of junk it was found) must have either stolen it or
knowingly obtained it from someone who did.

I persuaded Prosecution Counsel to drop the charge when I explained that I
would return the brief and become a defence witness for my client, to the
effect that a few years ago, when buying a large quantity of stamps at a Post
Office, they were handed to me in a Royal Mail cash bag since they had run out
of envelopes or paper bags!

Anyone attending bus or railway rallies or auctions (as I often do) will see a
vast array of both current and vintage uniform items for sale. Perhaps the
Police ought to visit a few! I would wager it's possible to kit oneself out
completely in just about any Underground or other London Transport uniform,
including the prized "gold" or "silver" wallet badges which are used to
identify revenue protection officials. One of them fetched a 3-figure sum on
Ebay a few weeks ago.

Marc.