Old October 8th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default End of London's Trams

Marratxi wrote:
"Johnson Family" wrote in message
SNIP, SNIP, SNIP, etc.,
Robert Johnson
Student
University of York

P.S. I realise that some people consider such requests to be SPAM
- however, I hope you will be able to forgive me for the sake of
this project.

BEWARE !! I went on to this guy's site to fill in his questionnaire
only to find lots more strange spellings. I went to the page where
the responses could allegedly be filled in, only to find that the
areas where answers were to be entered were coloured yellow but
nothing showed when I tried to type into them and the instructions
were to save the page to my hard drive. NO !!!
It may not be spam but I smell a possible virus.

No, it's a cock-up, not a conspiracy. The form is a Word document which
is locked for editing, so you can't enter anything into it. He has no
mechanism for accepting the form directly from your browser, so he asks
you to print it or mail it, not realising that you can't type anything
into it. Also, the frames version has a bad URL , so you can't even see
the form by that route.

The strange spellings are probably the result of the appalling quality
of English teaching over the past decade or two. Spell-checkers don't
actually help if you type bare instead of bear, but should pick up
intergrate instead of integrate. The problem is that students in any
subject other than English are not penalised for poor language skills,
so they never have an incentive to improve those skills.
--
Richard J.