Old October 10th 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Optimum Position When Waiting To Board A Bus

Nick Cooper wrote:
On 10 Oct 2004 10:57:27 GMT, (Mait001) wrote:

London Transport used to have a by-l;aw requirement that an
orderly queue was required for boarding a bus.

I know it might be irrelevant for all intents and purposes, but I
can't help feeling that abolishing the by-law was a retrograde
step and sent out all the wrong messages about what is, and what
is not, civilised behaviour, at a time when many people haven't
the foggiest idea of how to behave.

It seems that the vast majority of people in London are simply
incapable of queuing for buses. The moment one turns up, everyone
who was standing scattered around within ten metres of the stop
rushes for it, blatently bypassing any poor innocents who had the
temerity to form anything like an orderly line next to the
stop/under the shelter.

Why should it be any different to a tube station? My local bus stop is
served by 7 routes, has a shelter with maps, and timetables on the stop
itself. It's not an environment that lends itself to an orderly queue.
--
Richard J.