Old October 10th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Cordiner Tom Cordiner is offline

Default End of London's Trams

Acrosticus wrote:

Ah! But apparently he's at York, who turned down a mate of mine who'd also put
Oxford on his UCAS form. When my mate rang up to ask the admissions tutor why
he'd been rejected the reply was "I don't think anyone who's put Oxford on
their form would feel happy at York" (he was later accepted by Magdalen, by the
way). I find it hard to frame a more eloquent and anodyne equivalent to York's
admissions tutor's "Look, this place is an academic sink, if you've got half a
brain you wouldn't come near the place" look-alike statement (which is what it
really is when you strip the sophistry away).

It is therefore no surprise that spelling, grammar and syntax are probably
optional at York, even in your final year.

In the past ten years, I've known several Oxbridge applicants who
received offers from both Oxford/Cambridge and York. I believe it's now
the case that the admissions offices don't get to see the other choices
on the UCAS form?

Tom

University of Cambridge (Didn't apply to York)