Old October 12th 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Solar Penguin Solar Penguin is offline

Default Buses blocking the road

--- Nick H (UK) said:

Anonymouse wrote:

Why not move cars on to minor roads?

Cars use minor roads /anyway/. Put the buses there too and leave
the main roads free to get as much traffic flowing as possible.

Odd... The real trouble is that they *ARE* putting more buses on minor
roads, even though these roads are too minor for large vehicles.

A while back I was in a 410 bus, which goes down almost every narrow
back street and cul-de-sac between Crystal Palace and Croydon. On one
of these narrow streets, it met a dustcart coming the other way. There
was no room for the two large vehicles to pass, so they sat there for
about five minutes, each waiting for the other to move out of the way.
Now, the bus had right of way, and the dustcart should have moved. But
its driver was in no hurry. Maybe he even wanted to get delayed so he
could claim overtime. In the end, the bus driver was forced to back up
and allow the dustcart through.

And, before anyone asks, no I didn't take the dustcart's number and
report it to the council. After all, the real fault was with whichever
idiot decided to send a bus route down such a minor road in the first
place. This was a delay just waiting to happen from as soon as the
route was first planned.

Why not ban cars from roads where they cannot pass
buses?

Ahh, so you've swallowed the Bus is King line. Surely there's
room for everyone with correct planning, rather than crazy
dogma.

Because, for the long-term benefit of the environment, we need to
drastically reduce emissions to around 128ppm (a cut of around
two-thirds from the current 379ppm). And the *ONLY* way that's going to
ever be practical is if there are fewer motorists making fewer journeys
in fewer cars. Now the best possible solution is if these ex-motorists
(and everyone else) choose to stay at home instead of travelling.
Taking the bus, or any form of public transport, is the next least worst
option.

But, then again, "Bus is One of the Next Least Worst Options" isn't
quite as catchy a slogan as "Bus is King", is it? Still, why let facts
get in the way of your rant, eh?