Old October 12th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Anonymouse Anonymouse is offline

Default Buses blocking the road

Nick H (UK) wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:

SNIPPED

From personal experience, I would put it as
punish-the-few-for-the-sins-of-the-majority. There is something quite
scary about the way normally rational people behave when behind the
wheel of a car. And let's not forget the six million bus passengers
every day in London who are currently inconvenienced by inconsiderate
drivers.

Well well, six million people ehh? every day? Would that be a rational
reasonable statistic? have they been counted? smells like spin to me.

Six million people per day - well six million journeys. This is the way
transport statistics are usually given, for cars as well as public
transport. I did mean to give my reference:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/press-re...ess-1018.shtml

It sounds reasonable to me. Please give your references or calculations
if you still want to claim that it isn't.

But: When a bus driver can't pull in because the stop is full of cars,
or obstructed by cars then it is not down to the bus. If traffic wardens
spent their time targeting behaviour that actually obstructs traffic
everyone would be better off.

Such as illegal parking. However, I agree that traffic wardens should be
more proactive in targetting selfish and dangerous behaviour. My pet
hates a

- Drivers who ignore rule 146 section two of the highway code. This
states: "Take extra care at junctions. You should: ... watch out for
pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have
started to cross they have priority, so give way" (see
http://www.highcode.gov.uk/16.shtml) I have yet to meet a driver who
knows this rule.
- People who ignore box junctions. Just what is wrong with them?
However, when it was suggested that traffic wardens should be able to
fine drivers for this type of offence, the pro-car lobby were up in
arms, which shows just how moronic most of them are.

What is your solution to the problem? I have already written why I
think delaying car drivers for a short while is OK. Before, buses were
unable to pull out in traffic. Now, they can. If the solution
inconveniences those who are considerate, maybe they will increase
peer pressure on those who are not, and change their behaviour.

There are lots of dreadful drivers in London, behind the wheels of all
kinds of vehicles, public service included.

That's true, but I'm afraid it is just human nature. I'm not sure people
are really suitable to be drivers.

For the record, I nearly always let buses and taxis pull out ahead of
me,
providing they indicate their intention sufficiently in advance that
I can
slow down slightly without needing to brake, creating a gap into
which they
can pull. I sometimes get hooted from vehicles behind and once a bicycle
decided to overtake me on the left, narrowly escaping being sandwiched
between the bus and my nearside front wing - some people just cannot
read
the road ahead of them!

It's amazing, isn't it. If only all drivers were as good as those who
post to newsgroups! (Actually, why not brake to let buses pull out? I
don't understand that point.)

Why not indeed? When a bus is stopped on a busy road it isn't going to
get out (just as a car is not going to get out of a side road) unless
people use speed and lane discipline to facilitate each other. And a lot
of the time we do, or there would be vehicles full of skeletons all over
the roads.

I really am all for a higher standard of driving. How about the
professionals setting a good example?