Old October 12th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Malcolm & Nika Malcolm & Nika is offline

Default Withdrawn tube stock - still about?

The graffitti boys and girls got in both ways....from the end of the
platform and over the fence. A few years back a camera was put up so the
station supervisorcould see what was happening in there. Inevitably if the
boys in blue did bother to turn up they would jump the fence....so it was
made higher. Didnt stop them.
The sidings here were not used for a number of years and its only about 2
years ago that a stabler overnight was timetabled.

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...
"David Splett" wrote in message

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...
When I went in 2002 there were several, again anyone know why one has
been left behind? Can anyone say if there is any photographic
possibility? As for Aldwych I heard a rumour it was to be replaced a
while back.

As far as South Harrow is concerned, and possibly Hainault, a given

amount
of money was set aside for getting the units mobile and off to the

torcher.
To quote a senior manager of TransPlant responsible for the movements,

"the
money ran out".

Well the operation to remove the units from South Harrow must have
been interesting. Not only were they split (not easy as they had been
coupled and left there for about 5 years) but there is no road access
I can see so this suggests that they went out onto the 'main line' for
one last time, presumably at night, in order to be taken away. Also of
note is that for this operation I assume they would be top n tailed by
battery locos (no way would they move on their own after all this time
surely!) and therefore some serious shunting must have taken place!!

Another question that arises on South Harrow is how the 'artists' got
to the units, were they blatant enough to just walk off the platform
or is there access from what appears to be woods behind the buffer
stops? This may provide (if legit) another photographing point.

As always any help with the above appreciated!!

( Dont forget the website - http://www.underground.fotopic.net/ )