Old October 13th 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Sir Benjamin Nunn Sir Benjamin Nunn is offline

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

"David E. Belcher" wrote in message
om...

I seem to recall that in the post war plans for Londons Transport, one
of the new lines to be built was an extension of the Northern City line
from Moorgate, through the City and to new underground platforms at
London Bridge and linking with the Crystal Palace (High Level) branch
line of the SR.

There were certainly thoughts of extending from Moorgate to serve a
new station (i.e. not meeting up with other lines at Bank) near the
Bank of England itself many years ago, and a few yards of tunnel were
actually dug. This idea never really got past the drawing board stage,
though.

For years, I've advocated joining the Northern City Line from Moorgate up
with the W&C line at Bank to form the basis of a new key route through the
City and turning two rubbish lines into something useful.

Tunnel from Moorgate to Bank, astation at Blackfriars, and a tunnel to the
surface between Waterloo and Vauxhall. Can't be a lot of work compared to
most of the schemes that are proposed these days.

And yet the result would be massively useful - Herts/North London to SW
London/Surrey via Finsbury Park, Old Street, Bank, Blackfriars, Waterloo and
Vauxhall.

Routes such as Woking direct to Bank or Palmers Green direct to Blackfriars
or Wimbledon to Finsbury Park. I can't believe no-one has ever seriously
considered this idea before.

BTN