Old October 13th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default Epping-Ongar Railway services commence

PRAR wrote in message . ..
On 12 Oct 2004 19:50:55 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

(TheOneKEA) wrote the following in:
. com

Today (Sun Oct 10, 2004), the Epping Ongar Railway Preservation
Society ran a train service using a single class 117 DMU from
Ongar to North Weald and back; a week previously, almost 10 years
to the day since the Central Line service was withdrawn, a test
service was run on Oct 3.

http://www.eorailway.co.uk/news.htm

I wonder if this means that the EOR actually has a future. I also
wonder about that DMU livery, and the precise relationship between
the original EOR company that bought the line and this new EORPS
that ran the trains today.

Am I right in thinking that it is currently only Ongar to North Weald
without any stop at Epping? If so, that's pretty inconvenient and a bit
of a shame.

Correct. There's no space at Epping (even on a Sunday) to accomodate a
heritage service. Also the line is blocked by trees/undegrowth and
needs clearing between North Weald and Epping.

PRAR

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/Ep...20&%20Sigs.gif

LU has also retained the siding and double crossover to the east of
Epping as part of the signalling overlap (LW12/LW22 to LW2), which
means that even if EOR could find the funds to construct a platform
(say between LW3 and LW20), not only would it need Central Line ATP
but it would also force a much slower approach to Epping.

Any EOR station at Epping would thus end up being an unreasonable
distance from the LU station.