Old October 13th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

Hmmm.... I thought the W&C tunnels were big enough to take regular

stock...
Thought I had vague memories of NSE trains running on the line before the
management went over to LUL, but could well be wrong.

Until around 1990 it was operated with specially built Southern Railway
stock, though in its last years it may have been painted in NSE livery. Some
of these trains even had ventilator grilles until the end of their lives
which formed the words 'Southern Railway.' The new stock which arrived in
1990 was part of the LUL Central Line order, but was painted in NSE livery.
Subsequently operation was transferred to LUL. But the loading gauge is very
definitely tube gauge.
Peter