Old October 13th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Splett David Splett is offline

Default Dumb traffic lights

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Annabel Smyth wrote in message

So we might not know what it is like to drive, but we do know,
and how, the state of mind of a driver stuck behind a red light
that has been on red for about 3 minutes, then changes to green
for about 5 seconds.....

Quite. So you can understand how irritating it is when some muppet
comes along and talks about the lights being on red for even longer.

Obviously there's no place for lights being held at red for no reason, there
*are* legitimate reasons for increased red phases at junctions. And I fail
to see why the incompetence which Annabel describes is justification for
your sweeping statement.

Some people seem to forget that the roads are for transport, they
always have been. Before cars it was horses and carts and there was
probably some non horse riding peasent muttering about how he wished
the horses would all be put down so he could happily stroll down the
road himself and not get trampled.

Yes, and some people seem to forget that Britain is for living in. Roads and
transport are just one part of this activity.