Old October 14th 04, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

Tom Anderson wrote:
On 13 Oct 2004, Jim Brown wrote:

"R.C. Payne" wrote in message ...

Solar Penguin wrote:

--- Jim Brown said:

If the Bank of England sacrificed its vaults (Very little use for
them now, with the gold sold off) and Cannon Street St was put
underground (Plus a new tunnel under the Thames), would a tunnel
connecting Moorgate and London Bridge be feasible? Or do the tube
lines around there make it impossible?

Interesting idea, Jim... There's also the problem of the slope down
from the high-level platforms at London Bridge to below the level of
the river bed. Especially since the line also has to curve from
east-west to north-south as it drops.

Surely the way to make this work is to build new tube-level platforms
at Cannon St and London Bridge, and break the surface east of London
Bridge? Of course that would increase your price by just a few quid.

Well yes I kind of presumed underground platforms at London Bridge but I
didnt make that explicit. But as a ball park figure and assuming you
could slot it into the London Bridge rebuild I'm guessing it would cost
£3/4 billion. Of course the question then is which line(s) south of the
river would be best to used for a new cross-london service?

Dartford. What i'd do is surface as soon as possible onto the northernmost
pair of tracks heading into (or out of) London Bridge, then run down to
Lewisham (via a new station at the proposed Deptford Park ELL station),

(ears prick up at sound of possible project)
Do you have any details on that proposal?

(snip)

In other news, are Crossrail seriously not proposing a station at London
City Airport? Is that what Custom House is supposed to be for? I think we
discussed this, but most Crossrail stuff goes right over my head.

Crossrail will use the NLL alignment from Custom House to near North
Woolwich - so it will actually pass through Silvertown station. However
since they're it doesn't appear on any of their plans, I presume it is
scheduled for closure - especially given that it is around 7 mins' walk
from the airport whereas the DLR's new station will be right outside the
terminal building.

Nevertheless, since Crossrail interchange with the DLR will be at Custom
House and not Canning Town, getting to LCY from Crossrail will either
involve changing at Stratford from the west/northeast or catching SET to
Woolwich Arsenal from the southeast.

I'm not sure exactly why CLRL want to close Silvertown station. Could be
for engineering reasons, although the portal for their Gallions Reach
tunnel should be much further east. It might just be to speed up journey
times through an area which will be well-served by the new DLR branch,
which will eventually have trains running direct between Stratford -
Canning Town - City Airport - Woolwich Arsenal.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7