Old October 14th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default CTRL domestics delay

TP wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 14 Oct 2004:

(Alex Terrell) wrote:

So after paying standard rates for the slowest trains in England
(Europe?) they're expected to pay extra for the fastest. Double the
rate would be inaffordable for too many commuters - how mnany people
commute on the Heathrow Express?

I am told there are a surprising number of Gatwick Express season
ticket holders - a premium fare service that wasn't designed for
commuters but seems to have attracted at least some.

My parents, on the rare occasions they are going to London for the
evening, always use it. They drive to Gatwick, park there, and carry on
from Victoria via public transport, or possibly a taxi. I asked them
once why they went on the rather more expensive service as opposed to
Southern, which is not only cheaper (especially as they have Elderly
Cards, or whatever they are called, but you know what I mean), but calls
at destinations nearer to where they live. The answer was that the
Gatwick services were reliably every 30 minutes throughout the night, so
they didn't have to worry about catching the last train! And I think
they have found the service more reliable than Southern (wouldn't be
difficult!). The 30-mile drive home doesn't seem to worry them.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/