Old October 14th 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Alistair Bell Alistair Bell is offline

Default A Moorgate to London Bridge Tunnel (Old chestnut)

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message ...
--- Alistair Bell said:

I'd be more interested in the feasibility of turning the Northern City
into a DLR line to East Finchley... the tunnelling would be much
shorter (but again with vault issues)

And also the issue of getting the DLR from directly below the Northern
line at Bank to directly above it at Moorgate. Apart from that, it's a
great idea, Alistair. It would relieve overcowding of the Northern
line's City and Edgware And it would give people in Essex Rd and
Drayton Pk a proper weekend/evening service for the first time in ages!

I rather suspect that if the side-to-side issues can be resolved, the
vertical issues really won't be too bad. DLR stock can manage some
pretty impressive gradients -- as you can see coming up from Bank to
Royal Mint Street Junction! Also, the Northern Line crosses over
itself between Bank and Moorgate, which again suggests that there's
vertical room to ascend. Whether there's horizontal room is indeed the
issue, but maybe there's a little room west of the Northern Line.