Old October 15th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Epping-Ongar Railway services commence

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, James Looker wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, simon wrote:

with the almost certain expansion of Stansted airport, in the long
term, returning the Epping-Ongar route might make sense.

Hang on, just how much are they planning to extend Stansted? I make
it about 20 km from the airport to Ongar ...

I believe he meant that a bigger Stansted will need more staff, and
they will have to live somewhere and have a way of travelling from
their homes to Stansted.

Ongar to Stansted via Liverpool Street doesn't seem a completely
brilliant idea. Ongar to Stansted via Stratford (using the planned Lea
Valley Line service) isn't hugely better. A direct coach is going to
beat that pretty easily.

Have you ever tried to get anywhere from Ongar by bus?

Have you ever tried to get anywhere from Ongar by tube?

Comparing a completely new rail service to existing bus services is a
strawman argument. If Stansted workers started to live in Ongar, the
invisible hand would work to establish effective transport links for them.

I can't believe i just wrote that with a straight face.

tom

--
there is not much call for a Chinese George Michael