Old August 1st 03, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Yellow Arrows on Tube Ticket

In article , Cal Nihoni
writes
If you were honest, you could have purchased your ticket from the
machine at your destination - but you decide not to do so and publicly
admit your guilt as well. How odd.

Get real. How many people would do that? Just you I think.

The fact that others are thieves doesn't mean he should become one.

[And, yes, I have paid in similar circumstances.]

Perhaps London Underground have done their sums and *overall*, their
"apparent incompetence" plan of allowing ticket purchase 80% of the time and
not worrying about the 20% that get away gets them more money than paying
people to allow/enfore ticket purchase 100% of the time, so be it. It's
simple economics.

I was once told that Marks & Spencers, many years ago, changed from
doing detailed daily stocktakes to having a much looser system because
the savings in staff pay (and the staff benefit of reduced need for
unsocial hours) outweighed the losses from additional theft.

It may be both economic and realistic to live with a certain level of
theft rather than try to stop it happening, but the thieves are still
thieving scum.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: