Old October 17th 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Private Hire in Hyde Park

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message ,
Martin Underwood writes
"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
In message ,
Martin Underwood writes

What precisely is the difference between a taxi and a minicab? Do

minicabs
have to carry a licensing plate (quoting registration number and maximum
number of occupants) like taxis do? How does a user know whether he's
getting into a taxi or a minicab?

Thanks for this very detailed and informative answer.

Let's deal with London first.

London's taxis have to comply with the PCO's 'Conditions of Fitness' to
be licensed as a taxi. The one that most people will know about is the
25ft turning circle - ideal for getting through some of the narrow
streets in the City and also for making U turns. This is why they are of
a specific shape and size and what makes them unique.

The turning circle of TX1 black cabs is incredibly small - makes me wonder
why all cars of an equivalent size aren't designed with similar turning
circles. Are they front or rear wheel drive? If they are FWD, the universal
joints in the drive-shafts must take some hammering when the taxi is on full
lock. I was caught out by a taxi's turning circle the other day: I was
passing a taxi rank and a taxi signalled to pull away, so I flashed him to
let him out, expecting him to move into the space ahead of me; instead he
did a U turn in front in me - quite legally, but I wasn't expecting it
(there was no way he'd have been able to do so in an ordinary car) and I had
to brake because he then blocked the road until the traffic in the other
direction let him in.

They must have an approved meter which is sealed by the PCO. They have
the right to 'ply for hire' (with a lighted sign on the roof) either on
the street or at authorised taxi ranks. The driver must have been police
(now CRB) checked, medically fit, of good character and have passed the
'knowledge' of London which takes on average 3 years.[1]

Do any other cities require their licensed taxi drivers to display a similar
level of 'knowledge'? I suppose the real skill comes when you know the
sensible diversionary routes between any two places as well as just the
shortest one so you can avoid traffic hold-ups. I remember when I saw Jack
Rosenthal's "The Knowledge" being surprised at how large an area was
included - not just central London.

'Minicabs' were, until recently (2001 I believe) totally unlicensed
vehicles. There was no regulation of them and the drivers would often
not have insurance. Many of the drivers had criminal convictions. There
was in one year (2003) 233 cases of indecent assault and 54 rapes
*reported*. It is believed that the true figure is at least five times
those numbers as many victims do not report the assaults/rapes.

As shown on many of the indecent assault or rape cases featured on
Crimewatch: many of them involve(d) young women getting into unlicensed
minicabs - or even private cars that they *think* are minicabs.

Minicab licensing started with the companies, who were first to be
registered, then with the drivers and now (since June 2004) the
vehicles. I know of one minicab firm who lost 21 out of a total of 140
drivers when licensing became effective in 2003. Apparently the reasons
given included questionable immigration status, criminal records and
income tax status!

Since licensing has taken place, the new 'Private Hire' minicabs are
having to pay better rates to retain or recruit licensed drivers. This,
coupled with other costs associated with licensing means that most have
raised their prices considerably. In fact many minicabs are more
expensive that the traditional taxi (known as 'black cabs') !!

I hadn't realised that minicabs and taxis charged different rates: I assumed
that they were required to charge the same.

Private Hire vehicles in London are identified by a yellow disc with a
diamond shaped licence which is displayed on the front and rear window
of the vehicle. (too small to be read unless you're standing less than 2
ft from the vehicle). They cannot ply for hire and *must* be pre-booked.
Many still pick up from the streets, and in these cases their insurance
immediately becomes invalid, no matter if they have one which covers
'for hire and reward' as the insurance is only valid for pre-booked
jobs.

I've always wondered why the pre-booked-only rule applies. Is it to avoid
minicabs taking away business from taxis or is there another reason?