Old October 17th 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default A13: Why the new speed limit?

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Mikael Armstrong wrote:
"Marc Brett" wrote in message

Most of the nearby residents directly affected by the road have probably
already been paid a share of our taxes to have double glazing installed,

if
they don't already have it. Perhaps the limit should be 70mph as the

road
designed for. That would mean motorists could save nearly a quarter of

an
hour using your figures.

Do you seriously think that double glazing solves all these residents'
problems? What if it's hot and they want to open the window? What if
they ever want to spend time in their garden? Have you any idea how
noisy a 70mph road is, especially in wet weather?

A large amount of money was spent installing a new improved sound barrier
along the A34 where it passes to the west of Oxford. I remember the
disruption when Lane 1 was out of use while the work was being carried out.
However it still carries a 50 limit, even though the noise is negligible
behind the barrier: I pulled off the road and drove down the residential
road parallel to the barrier and immediately behind it, and with my car
window open and the engine turned off, I could see HGVs going past but they
were barely audible. Keeping down to 50 on a dual carriageway where it's
safe to drive at 70 is very difficult, especially goinf south when the 50
limit carries on a good half a mile beyond the houses. Thankfully they'd
recently installed flashing "50" signs that light up only if you are going
over the limit that help to remind you. Apparently the police have said that
they will not enforce the 50 limit because it is there only for the
residents' benefit and not for road safety reasons.