Old August 1st 03, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default Cairo West station

John Rowland wrote:
Hi all,

I'm watching "Top Of The Pops 2", and Madness are shown
singing "My Girl" at a mock up of an LU tube station, whose
roundel says "Cairo West". The curved platform wall is
decorated with historic LU posters. Presumably it will be
reshown this weekend.

It is well known that the original plan was to build the Central Line
extension as far as Denham. What is less well known is the there was another
plan to build a new town just to the west of Burnham Beeches to which the
Central Line would have been extended. Given it's proximity to Egypt, it was
the intention to name this new settlement Cairo West.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...=700&height=40
0&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&a ddr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&sc
ale=50000&advanced=&multimap.x=292&multimap.y=142

Egypt is on the extreme right of the map.