Old October 19th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default If bikes were licensed, where would the plate go, and how big?

Helen Deborah Vecht ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

For a bicycle.

It *is* possible.

In theory.

It is *eminently* possible. At least two european countries - one with a
FAR higher cycling population than ours - manage.

Here in the UK, I have to take a bicycle, fitted with a full size number
plate on the rear mudguard, for an MOT every year, just because there's an
engine (albeit only 0.7bhp) sat on top of the front wheel.

One of these :-
http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTri.../7787/1700.gif

It's flat out at 15mph, so slower than my mountain bike, and does about
200mpg.

The MOT costs £17.50 and the tax disc would be £15 a year if it were newer,
but is free due to the age of the bike - but the tax disc still needs to be
obtained and displayed.