Old October 20th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Colin Blackburn Colin Blackburn is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:13:11 GMT, Nick Cooper
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:32:59 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

Most pedestrians' representatives seem to have no trouble
distinguishing between the scale of risk posed by cars and bicycles,
and devote their efforts to controlling motor danger. We already know
that you are about 200 times more likely to be killed /on the footway/
by a motor driver than by a cyclist, after all.

Yes, I'm sure that's a huge consolation to any pedestrian who gets hit
by a reckless cyclist. Of course, cars do not routinely deliberate
travel on pavements, but many cyclists certainly do.

Really?

At the lights just over there, points out window, one lane opens to two
for the stop line. If there are vehicles waiting to turn right, and there
usually are, then those drivers who want to go straight on mount the
pavement and drive along it to bypass stopped vehicles. The drivers'
behaviour is routine, I see it every single day, and deliberate.

At the school over there, points in roughly the same direction, the
parents seem to not want to let their little dears walk too far along the
pavement so they park as near to the school as possible. When the yellow
zigzags are full, as they usually are, drivers will mount the pavement and
drive along it, parking on the grass verge (and the pavement.) The
drivers' behaviour is routine, I see it every school day, and deliberate.
It makes the pavement so dangerous parents daren't let their kids walk on
it!

These are just two places in Durham, not a particularly large city. I
would doubt they are the only examples or routine and deliberate pavement
driving even for Durham.

Why do you think there are so many bollards along the outer edges of
pavements?

Colin