Old October 21st 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default A406 upgrades

Dave Arquati typed

Where are the footbridges at Henlys?

Sorry, it's not at Henlys Corner itself but it's included within the
same scheme. It's down the road at the Brent St & Golders Green Rd
crossroads.

9/10 of a mile down the A406, actually. Very convenient for a pedestrian, NOT!

The footbridge is on the side of the A502 I tend not to use, (west, I
think) so that I have to cross it twice to use the footbridge. (Parents
live south of A406 and east of A502, brother lives north of A406 and
east of A502). Foot bridge entails walk about EIGHT times as long as
walk across A406.

(There is a subway-type crossing by the Mutton Brook about halfway
between Finchley Road and Golders Green Road at Courtleigh
Gardens/Bridge Lane though)

Incidentally, I have just designed a grade separated junction for
Henlys on
the back of an envelope. It's easy - all it needs is two perpendicular
bridges and one somewhat skew bridge to give both the A1 and the A406 a
straight run through. All turns would be allowed, including A1 w/b to A406
e/b, which is currently banned. Land take would be small, and gradients
would be easy. Whether it could cope with the traffic flows is another
question.

I sense problems involved with Mutton Brook which runs directly
alongside the site. If you sink a foundation, won't it just fill up with
water there? (Bearing in mind I know nothing about engineering).

The A406 is parallel to the river Brent and *never* gets flooded ;-)...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.