Old October 21st 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Malcolm & Nika Malcolm & Nika is offline

Default Ticket Checks at Vauxhall LU

So I went to Vauxhall and checked out what you said.
Sure enough there was a revenue exercise there yesterday.
You ask what it is that they can see that the gates dont?

They are solely checking for people who travel through zone 1 without a zone
1 ticket. This is marked on the ticket with the nice colour triangles...easy
to spot without actually reading the ticket. If it was bought north of the
river in a zone 3 to a zone 2 station it will have north colourings. It will
still let you out in a zone 2 station allowing you to travel through zone 1.
RPI sees the north colour triangles, checks it is valid in Z1....hey presto
if its only a £1 ticket....
Incidentally...they caught heaps.

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
Jim Brittin [wake up to reply] wrote in
message om...
In article ,
says...
If what you say is correct it is against all procedures.....circulating
areas, particularly at the top of the escalator must be fee flowing to
prevent accidents... I will be there tommorrow morning and have a look.

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
It seems that at least every week there are ticket checks at Vauxhall
Victoria line station. I am not sure that I see the point of
constantly checking the valitity of a ticket when the gate would
reject an invalid ticket.
This morning there was a dangerous mass of people congergrating at
the
top of the escalator resulting in a lot of pushing and shoving as
everybody had their tickets visually checked.
What are they expecting to find?

Kevin

Maybe it's to check on the mature 'children' I frequently observe using
gates at stations.

Then why not programme the gates to reject child tickets so that I can
be spared having to show my ticket that I then immediately put into
the gate for checking.
I don't understand what it is they are expecting to find that the
gates wouldn't.