Old August 1st 03, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
u n d e r a c h i e v e r u n d e r a c h i e v e r is offline

Default Oystercrud.co.uk

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:08:32 +0100, Clive D. W. Feather
wrote: In article
slrnbij40l.f7u.takeme2yourNOMORESPAMPLEASE@scrat ch.garylaw.net, u n d
e r a c h i e v e r writes
...the site can help you with a lost password, but not with a lost
username it seems (please correct me if I'm wrong about this). i
would have thought a username lookup from oystercard number would be
useful

Risk. Suppose you lose your card and someone finds it. How much
information do you want them to have? Particularly if they did allow:

just email them to me on request. no risk of my details being exposed;
many sites have a similar system.

...remember my credit card details? nah. why not make me type them again.

This should only ever be possible on explicit request - it reduces the
risk of details being stolen and/or misused.

true, but again many sites implement a 'remind us of the last four digits'
system for ppl who want to reuse cards. i avoid e-commerce as a rule,
but I trust lul.

...the renewal starts in FOUR DAYS TIME. FFS! how long does it take
to clear the payment

This could be the bank at fault.

for goodess sake; any card not present transaction can be cancelled months
after the sale; there is a risk and if the cc company bounces the payment
then the oyster can be cancelled. four days grace isn't going to break lul's
bank.

obviously not on LUL's network.

There may be all kinds of good reasons for doing batch updates, though
four days does seem a bit long.

it's ludricrous. i hope the cancellation details go out in more like four
minutes!

...but most useless of all, you have to nominate the station, and in some
cases the line, where you propose to make your first journey on day of
renewal.

This makes it look like they are only going to inform the Oyster readers
at that station. No doubt there are technical reasons behind this.

another technical weirdness is that after renewing the ticket at the
ofice all the gates I passed through today told me the ticket was about
to expire.

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r