Old August 1st 03, 11:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rupert Goodwins Rupert Goodwins is offline

Default Pavement cycling

On 1 Aug 2003 18:05:36 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

CJG wrote the following in:

In message , Robin May
writes
On the stretches where I do cycle on the pavement I show as much
respect as possible.

If you were showing them respect your be walking your bike rather
than riding it. Pavements are there for walking. Not riding a bike
on. End of story.

I hope some time I come across you while riding my bike on a pavement,
as I shall feel happy showing you disrespect.

Have you been instructing the kids on Holloway Road in the ways of
righteousness? I nearly pushed one into oncoming traffic this morning
because he was coming up behind me fast, I didn't see him and I
stepped into his path. You know, it's not second nature to assume
you're in a fast moving vehicular path when you're walking to the
tube.

It's worse at night, because none of them have anything approximating
to lights.

Cycling on the pavement is bloody stupid. Cycles and pedestrians don't
mix. Where would you have us walk, if the pavements are too dangerous?
In the road? Swinging from lamp-post to lamp-post like so many
commuting gibbons?