Old October 22nd 04, 08:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Wheelchair sighting

Long-timers on this group may recall the nutter who claimed that every
station needed to be wheelchair-accessible *right now* and that he could
install a chairlift at Goodge Street and Mornington Crescent for only a
couple of thousand pounds.

He was brought back to my memory recently. Riding the Northern Line
southbound, I was startled when a lady in a wheelchair boarded the train
at Goodge Street, accompanied by a man who, I presume, had bumped the
chair down the steps. They got off, as I did, at Embankment. I last saw
them waiting at the bottom of the escalator for the crowd to thin
before, presumably, ascending it.

So perhaps "accessible" is less of an issue than we thought (which still
doesn't justify ignoring it without good cause).

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: