Old August 2nd 03, 01:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Temple Bar

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
. ..

the Roman Ermine Street runs right by Temple Bar

Ermine Street seems to be still in use from London Bridge to the Tottenham /
Edmonton boundary, but abandoned from there to Maidens Bridge in Bulls
Cross. I wonder why, and when it happened - was it in connection with the
New River construction?

Things are even worse now, so the prospect of it in the
middle of Paternoster Square all spruced up and giving
the place a bit of character can only be welcomed.

I'm sure the phrases "Paternoster Square" and "a bit of character" in the
same sentence will sound okay in time!

I don't understand why they couldn't put it back between the Strand and
Fleet Street. There were buildings demolished there recently, and I assumed
that they were making room for it, but it would appear not. Failing that, I
think they should have put it somewhere else on the boundary between the
City of London and the City of Westminster, perhaps on the Embankment.
Putting it in Paternoster Square seems pointless, because it won't be the
gate between anything, and it will be outclassed by Wren's better known work
anyway.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped