Old October 22nd 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Oyster capping on BBC News

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:19:22 GMT, Steve Peake
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:27:49 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

while I understand the cynicism the fare changes next year will make
capping much more complex [1]. It is no surprise that it is delayed if
TfL keep changing the fares structure that the software and card logic
has to understand.

I think we'll be very lucky to see anything emerge on capping by May of
next year - and that's simply my guess.

[1] e.g. three different concepts of what "Peak" and "off peak" means -
bus pre-pay, tube pre-pay and then one day travelcard / lt card off
peak.

The manufacturers were quoted on that news program as saying that the
capping could have been put in place on day 1, and TFL were unable to give
any reason why it hadn't been done (They refused to appear on that report
or issue any statement).

I didn't see the news report but

a) I am amazed that Transys or any part of the consortium who make a
statement like that. They must be very ****ed off to have to resort to
that tactic or else they've made an error.
b) I am not remotely surprised that TfL would refuse to enter into a
possible argument on the airwaves
c) I expect there will be an argument going on behind close doors given
(a).

I think you'd also find that the manufacturer's view of what capping
would be and what TfL would want on day 1 are at opposite ends of the
spectrum. I've heard it all before - "oh yes we can do "x" on such and
such a date". When you then ask basic questions about how it would work
you find that the proposal being offered would not work in a way that
was remotely satisfactory from a customer, technical or financial
viewpoint.

Ticketing systems are far too complex and have too much potential to
cause huge public complaints that to stick some slapdash solution into
service too quickly would be suicide for TfL. I would also fully accept
that it would be good if the public were told what was going on and when
a solution can realistically be put into service.
--
Paul C