Old October 22nd 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin Mayes Robin Mayes is offline

Default Oyster capping on BBC News

"Marc Brett" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:19:22 GMT, Steve Peake

wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:27:49 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

while I understand the cynicism the fare changes next year will make
capping much more complex [1]. It is no surprise that it is delayed if
TfL keep changing the fares structure that the software and card logic
has to understand.

I think we'll be very lucky to see anything emerge on capping by May of
next year - and that's simply my guess.

[1] e.g. three different concepts of what "Peak" and "off peak" means -
bus pre-pay, tube pre-pay and then one day travelcard / lt card off
peak.

The manufacturers were quoted on that news program as saying that the
capping could have been put in place on day 1, and TFL were unable to

give
any reason why it hadn't been done (They refused to appear on that report
or issue any statement).

For capping to have worked "on day 1", Oyster would have to have been

fully
functional on buses "on day 1", and the regulars on this group know all

about
the teething problems of that rollout. I suspect the capping rollout will

not
be as trouble-free as the above glib statement suggests.

Sounds like a typical Transys reponse though, sadly.

They were trying to blame other contractors and existing, agreed book on
procedures for the reason why several gates had not been repaired for over
12 hours yesterday.