Old October 24th 04, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default My other car is a bus

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:58:31 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Richard Adamfi wrote:
What do you think of the new advert?

Richard Adamfi

For anyone who hasn't seen it, if you have a fast connection you can see
it from he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/press-re...n%201214.shtml

Nicely done. But I'm not convinced it will persuade suburbanites to
leave their cars at home. And I rarely see a bus lane work as well as
the one in the video - in central London your journey is as likely to be
held up by other buses and taxis as it is by cars! Do many suburban
routes have all-day bus lanes?

I agree that the bus lane depiction looks a little too good to be true
but there are loads of all day bus lanes in North / North East London
and they do make the buses move faster. They'd work better if people
didn't park their cars and vans in them.

My only other observation on the advert is that while I accept that some
buses have spare capacity on them there are now far too many routes
where you can encounter rush hour type crowding in the off peak -
especially at weekends. I doubt car users will find a crush on a bus
very enticing after their first encounter. And it would seem from the
latest TfL Board agenda (for this week's meeting that will approve the
new business plan) that not a lot is being done to keep improvements to
the bus network going. Therefore the network is going to stand still for
the next few years with overcrowding getting worse.
--
Paul C