Old October 24th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Nick Cooper Nick Cooper is offline

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:16:47 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
It's a pretty common misassumption.

Which says far more about the over-sensitivity of those making it.
Just because five people jump to the same false conclusion, it doesn't
mean it is no longer false.

Why didn't you even bother to change the thread title?

Perhaps because at that stage I didn't even remotely consider such an
irrationally over-defensive reaction. It was just a tangential
observation I would have been surprised had it resulted in more than
half a dozen follow-ups. In fact, it's been a bit like a doctor
tapping a patient's knee, only for the whole body to go into spasm.

Well now you know - whining about cyclist's behaviour on u.r.c will result
in robust rebuttals, because we're so used to people attempting to justify
motorist's bad behaviour by saying cyclists are as bad.

This will happen whether or not you mean to.

You see, this is the problem. I made one throwaway comment/
observation and then had to elaborate or defend myself from a bunch of
over-sensitive and trigger-happy cyclists who leapt spectacularly to
the wrong conclusion about what I actually said, and you characterise
it as "whining"? Yeah, right....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk