Old October 22nd 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeremy Parker Jeremy Parker is offline

Default A406 upgrades

"John Rowland" wrote in
message ...

[snip]

I sense problems involved with Mutton Brook which
runs directly alongside the site. If you sink a foundation,
won't it just fill up with water there? (Bearing in mind I
know nothing about engineering).

Neither do I, but if you look at the infrastructure a little

further down at
Brent Cross and Staples Corner, I don't see why there would be
insurmountable problems.

[snip]

Talking of bridges across the North Circular Rd, there's a plan,
which may well happen, for part of the London Cycle Network in that
area, which is well worth taking note of, even if you only walk

The original planned bike route was up the Edgware Road, but that
seems a dead loss. Going up the Edgware Road with a bike you can
either go over the North Circular on the flyover, or round the
roundabout underneath. While you get nice views from the flyovers,
and surfing roundabouts is quite fun if you are a competent cyclist,
nobody wants to make either of two alternatives an official bike
route, except to the extent that every street and road in the area,
except for the M1, automatically is an offical bike route already,
just as they are official car routes as well.

The new plan, devised by a friend of Helen Vecht's actually, would
cross the North Circular Road a bit west of the Edgware Road, and aim
at the Welsh Harp dam, to cross the Welsh Harp/River Brent on the
dam. It would be pretty scenic. Besides the Welsh Harp environs
there are a surprising number of other parks for the route to go
through, such as Gladstone Park and Roe Green Park

It looks as if the route even will be cheaper than the original
plans.

The bureaucrats seem to think its ok, although they don't exactly
welcome it, because, from their perspective, all it does is
complicate their lives, putting timetables into the wrong financial
year, and suchlike. Thus a groundswell of popular support would be
welcome.

Jeremy Parker