Old August 2nd 03, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default What's the LAW/RULING on TEA-BREAKS at WORK

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:53:17 +0100 Dave wrote:
} Andrew writes
} I was always under the impression that you are entitled to 15 minutes
} break after working four hours, and legally can not be forced to work
} longer than four hours without a break.
}
} That's not the case.
}
} As stated elsewhere, if you work more than six hours, you are entitled
} to a break of 20mins. For the majority of workers, that means the lunch
} break - there is no legal entitlement to any additional tea-break. Of
} course contractual arrangements may allow for more generous breaks.
}
} http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...9981833.htm#12
} http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_r...6.htm#section6
}
} This isn't specifically railway work, but almost every job I've done
} has adhered to this.
}
} You've had some good employers. Many people have the legal minimum and
} no more.

Other health and saftey regulations might impinge on this.

One that I'm aware of (because of my job) is use of a VDU, "breaks" are
required but aren't necessarily "rests" but can be achieved by doing
some task that does not require the use of the VDU.

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/